The Coal Tar Distillation (CTD) development
Coke oven by-products and derivatives valorization
The Fives’ Chemtec specialism offers several Proabd® processes for the up-grading of coke oven by-products to premium feedstocks for both chemical and aluminum industries.
Coal tar is a brown or black liquid with extremely high viscosity obtained as a by-product from Coke Oven Batteries (COB) or Coal To Gas (CTG) plants. Coal tars are complex and variable mixtures of several hundred substances, such as aromatic molecules, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and heterocyclic compounds.
For each unit, Proabd® processes allow plant design to be adjusted and optimized on the basis of coal tar feed quality and quantity, in order to produce a wide range of products according to local and international market conditions:
- BTX (benzene, toluene, xylene)
- Solvent naphtha
- Wash oil
- Carbon black feedstock oil
The process consists in different sections, fulfilling customers’ needs:
- Primary distillation to split light and heavy compounds
- Oils fractionation and valorization
- Pitch reforming
- Pitch granulation
Proabd® process solutions are adapted to greenfield and brownfield projects, revamping or modernization of existing units.
Continuous process optimization
Proabd® processes are constantly improved thanks to in-house laboratories and pilot hall dedicated to Research & Development programs.
Fives offers since 1919 solutions designed to comply with the highest environmental regulations and standards.
Following the design of a continuous process and the production of pitch without added sodium, Fives has developed the new Proabd® CTD Flex+TM. This advanced process is more flexible, more cost effective and more environmentally friendly.
Each plant is designed to meet the highest industrial standards:
- High recovery yields
- Very low specific energy consumption (fully integrated energy recovery concept)
- Advanced environmental protection systems
- High operating reliability
- Low maintenance
- Comyns, Alan E.: Encyclopedic Dictionary of Named Processes in Chemical Technology, CRC Press LLC - 2000
- Loïc Guillou & André Pinoncely: Anode Pitch Life Cycle, ITA conferences - 2012, 21/23 October – Victoria, Canada
If you are interested, please fill the form here-below.